Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Sunday 21 July 2013

Guarding the Bokar Kotorska

These are the forts built by the Austro-Hungarian Navy to defend their bases in the Bay of Kotorska, or as they would have described it Cattaro.

I spent the day climbing over several Montenegrin mountains looking at the ruins of the Austrian defences. These are undoubtably the best though. The locals have made good use of what I suspect was the naval base supporting the forts. They have turned it into a beach resort!


Some of the roads up to the forts defending the land approaches to Kotor are very interesting. My admiration of the Austrian engineers who built them knows no bounds. Mind you at 40c even my enthusiasm was starting to wilt by late afternoon. However, I have now recovered, thanks to the excellent local fish and vino!



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment