Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Saturday 29 June 2019

Glasgow Games Gathering

This is a new show for Glasgow, a welcome return to the circuit for Scotland's biggest city after many years absence.

The organisers did a good job, with everything going smoothly. The venue is a large sports hall at Bellahouston Park. There was plenty of space, including a good distance between the tables. Decent catering and car parking. It was very hot, which is a common problem using sports halls in the summer - even in Glasgow!

This isn't a pure wargames show. There were plenty of board games and traders for that aspect of the hobby. The emphasis was on participation games, which does need a big footfall and perhaps ambitious for the first year. I thought it probably needed one big display game to anchor the event.

There was a good range of traders for a new show. They would probably have hoped for a bigger footfall, but I hope they persevere as it takes time to build up a show. The 'Games passport' scheme was an original and good way of supporting traders.

I was pretty busy with the GDWS game, so didn't have as much time to browse as I would wish. However, I did pick up a very useful MDF gadget for Cruel Seas that I hadn't seen before.

Our game, 'Pancho Villa and the Gold Heist', had a regular flow of players into the afternoon. We used a cut-down version of Bolt Action, which meant most games lasted 30-40 minutes. Probably the most you can get away with in a one day show.


The monks were not impressed!


And the plane got shot down in every game, although one managed to drop a shell and destroy a field gun.


The revolution triumphed in every game other than one draw - Viva Villa!

I didn't get much time to look at other games, but here are a few that did catch my eye.








I'm off to the Penrith show tomorrow. Looking forward to being a punter!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it went well. The only show I ever attended in Glasgow was a tiny event in the early ‘80s. Can’t think where it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be a regular, if smallish show, at the old Polish Club in Maryhill called Wappinshaw. The last big one was at the Kelvin Hall before it was refurbished - 2013 I think.

      Delete
  2. Blimey, that was quick. Good review of the show. I know Stu of Colonel Bills was happy with his days trading (though it can always be much, much better 😁) the crew at G3 Gamers did an extremely good job of organising the show.ooking forward to next year's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey, that was quick. Good review of the show. I know Stu of Colonel Bills was happy with his days trading (though it can always be much, much better 😁) the crew at G3 Gamers did an extremely good job of organising the show.ooking forward to next year's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the report, missed the show but will try and get there next year for definite. Glad it went well for a first show for G3

    ReplyDelete