Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Sunday 5 November 2023

Targe 2023

 For many years, the Kirriemuir Wargames Club ran the Targe show in a school venue. It's no mean feat for a club based in a small town just north of Dundee. They haven't been able to run the full show since the pandemic, but they do run an annual games day, which is supported by several Scottish clubs and is open to the public. This year's event was held yesterday (4 November), and I took a GDWS participation game. It is an early start for me as it's a two-and-a-half-hour drive, but few hold-ups on a Saturday morning.

The venue is small but crammed with some excellent games. There isn't enough room for the usual trade stands, but Ian was there with his Flags of War stall, and Dave Imre had his excellent Claymore Castings medieval figures. They also had a large bring-and-buy, at which I picked up another 28mm ship for my harbour scenarios.

The games were all participation, and I took the Siege of Ragusa 1814, a scenario from my book, The Frontier Sea. Thanks to those who bought a copy. I'll do a more detailed write-up for the website, but you can read the handout on the GDWS site. In essence, the French had to get a supply convoy into the city while the Austrians, British and Ragusan rebels tried to stop them. We played the game three times, and they all went to the wire. The French succeeded each time, essentially, I suspect, because the Allies focused too much on shooting rather than getting stuck in with the bayonet.




All the games were limited to standard 6x4 tables, but that didn't stop some fine games from being organised.

Cowboy shoot-out using Dead Man's Hand.

Sherrifmuir 1715 was a Jacobite battle that deserves to be played more.

The Gothenburgers game won the best in the show.

I Tweeted that this was Border Wars, as it was next to Ian's stall, but I got that wrong. Still, very well done. 

Just to show that an amphibious landing can be done on a small table.

The Claymore Castings Lion Rampant game. The mat is very realistic.

Glasgow Phoenix brought a sci-fi game using Xenos Rampant.

It was a long day out, but I am glad I made the effort. Lots of good chats with gamers and the public interested in the history behind the game as well as the modelling and figures. Many people have been to Dubrovnik, so it's a good talking point to explain a bit more about the history. Even the local paper turned up. Many thanks to the Kirriemuir club for putting this on.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that. I quite enjoyed my visit. I'm reminded again about how cheap wargamers are though. I had brought cardboard boxes of kits etc and there people rummaging asking if I would break up the box when there were kits in there worth more than I was asking for the whole box... bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It clearly sounds like a decent show, with plenty for both the public and gamers too. A remarkable achievement for a local club in a small town ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great looking table set-ups there!

    ReplyDelete