Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Monday 1 April 2024

Royal Lancers Museum

Today's visits included another of those wonderful small regimental museums that we should nurture—along with the volunteers who keep them going. Today's was the Royal Lancers Museum in Nottinghamshire, near Sherwood Forest. It's in what I assume used to be the stables of the nearby Hall, now a hotel. There is also a nice cafe (fantastic Bakewell tart) and a few shops.

That's a Conqueror heavy tank outside.

They also have a Ferret armoured car. These exhibits reflect the cavalry regiments covered by the museum, which dates back to the 16th and 17th Light Dragoons. Although the first unit was raised by the owner of the Hall during the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion, the Kingston Light Horse.


You have to see the Tarleton helmet to appreciate how cumbersome it must have been to wear it.

The regiments mainly consisted of light cavalry that converted to lance in the 19th century. They fought in most of the colonial conflicts.

Zulu Wars

Boer War

Sudan. This was recaptured at Omdurman.

The two world wars and beyond are also covered. One of the regiments is the Sherwood Rangers, the subject of James Holland's book Band of Brothers. They make good use of model kits and dioramas.



This is only a small museum, but it's worth a look if you are in the area.

On my way back to the hotel, I stopped off at Conisborough Castle. It is the best-preserved 12th-century keep in England. The views are worth the climb up the stairs, although someone did ask me if there was a lift!




2 comments:

  1. Conisborough castle isn’t very far away from me in Sheffield. I’ve been “up top” a number of times, but I’m really, really not keen on heights. I enjoy ruined castles & always like to wonder who else in the past has stood in this particular spot - and in more perilous times. ⚔️⚔️
    FWIW my daughter is a teacher and takes her classes (Y6) to Conisborough castle every year. The kids like it too - or maybe they just enjoy a day away from the classroom 😉 🤣😂
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The keep is very well preserved. English Heritage do a good job with ideas to keep the kids engaged.

      Delete