Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Stafford

 I ventured south today to do a book talk on my way to a couple of days of golf with some old pals. I stopped in Stafford, mainly because it has a regimental museum and a castle I hadn't seen. I have passed the town many times on the M6, usually wondering why the traffic slows to a crawl in a relatively quiet area!

The Staffordshire Yeomanry Museum is on the top floor of the Ancient House in the town centre. It's only a small display of this regiment, which fought all over the world, although they often appeared to be sent to the Middle East. It was a volunteer cavalry regiment, with a history stretching back to 1794, raised at the Swan Inn in Stafford, just around the corner from the museum. Its motto was “Pro aris et focis” — “For hearth and home.” 


They served in the Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa, including at Thabanchu and Senekal. 


In the First World War, the regiment served in Egypt, Sinai and Palestine, taking part in the Gaza battles, Megiddo and the capture of Damascus. In the Second World War, they converted to tanks in 1941 and joined the Royal Armoured Corps. It fought in North Africa, including Alam el Halfa and El Alamein, and subsequently served in North-West Europe after D-Day.


Stafford Castle is close to the town centre and is well maintained by the local council staff. It was originally a Norman fortress, but the wooden walls were replaced with stone in the 13th century. The Roundheads slighted it during the Civil War, and it was partially restored in the 19th century.  Plenty of information boards and a pleasant walk around and up to the mound.




The Staffordshire Regimental Museum is also worth a visit if you are in the area. I have been before, but it had just closed as I passed it. I did get to see Tamworth Castle this evening, which looks like it is being assaulted by a siege tower 😂.


The pre-talk dinner was as tasty as the presentation was impressive!


My talk was on Russian 18th-century colonialism to the Black Sea, which is covered by my latest two books. I was very impressed by how many in the audience had read the books. Much better than getting them afterwards, as they ask much more relevant questions.





No comments:

Post a Comment