Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Friday 31 August 2018

Modern Russians in 20mm

The next stage in my 20mm  Bolt Action moderns project is some Russians. Starting with some basic infantry to go with the very nice die-cast T80 and BTR APCs. These can be used as intervention forces in a number of Eastern European actual or potential conflicts.

The bulk of the painting time is spent with the complex camouflage used by modern forces. The Russians are a little easier than the British, but I haven't got these quite right. In smaller scales you need to use sharper contrasts than is technically correct, otherwise after applying an ink wash they are just not that visible.

Lessons for the future, but they will do for now. I have started with three fire teams and an HMG. I will add heavy weapons next as reinforcements have just arrived from Liberation Miniatures. My reference book is 'The Modern Russian Army 1992-2016' by Mark Galeotti.






No comments:

Post a Comment