Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Monday 27 May 2019

Wargamers disease - Assyrians

I have to report an outbreak of wargamers disease in the west of Scotland. The symptoms are, read a book, watch a film, or in this case attend an exhibition - and shortly afterwards a pile of metal arrives in the post. Six months later you are staring at said pile wondering why you bought them in the first place!

So it was with my Assyrian project. Last November I attended the wonderful, Ashurbanipal: King of Assyria exhibition at the British Museum. I rationalised the wargame project on the basis that I don't have a biblical period army, it would be in 15mm, and ADLG armies are not that big.

I am pleased to report that the treatment is underway. That's the infantry done. First up some Kushite skirmishers.

Then the mixed foot units with heavy infantry and archers. I do like these.


Finally, the guardsmen with what must have been a very difficult shield to use. It was certainly challenging to get them on the base. Plus a general base.


The cavalry are almost done with chariots next, which I am not looking forward to.

1 comment:

  1. Puh - I wanted to visit the special Samurai exhibition in Munich

    https://www.kunsthalle-muc.de/ausstellungen/details/samurai/

    But if I get the same disease, these Japanese are difficult to paint... :-)

    ReplyDelete