Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Sunday, 2 August 2026

Claymore 2026

 Yesterday was the Edinburgh Claymore show, held on the Edinburgh College site at Granton. As usual, it was excellently organised by the Edinburgh club, in a venue with good car parking and catering.

I took the latest GDWS participation game, The Battle of Grocka 1739, the decisive battle of the 1736-39 war, which resulted in the Austrians losing most of the territory Prince Eugene had previously won for them in Serbia and Wallachia. The Austrian players yesterday did no better than General Wallis in attempting to get their cavalry through strong Ottoman positions. The best effort was one dragoon regiment, ironically the Eugene regiment, which breached the first line.




I was kept busy all day chatting about the history and playing the game, so I didn't see much of the show. Many thanks to all those who bought my new book on this war. Hopefully, growing interest in obscure 18th-century conflicts.

Here is a selection of the fine games on show.

The Durham club, with their 54mm figures, is always a joy to see.

A clever quick participation game, with Caledonians trying to get through the Roman lines.

The Glasgow Veterans Hub brought their ACW Epic game.

Tradeston's White Mountain game.

The Yorkshire Gamer came north with his Italian Wars armies.

The latest edition of Lilies banners

Wars of the Roses, if I recall.

Zulus in a proper scale before Epic armies appear!

Ian's Border Wars in Hexham Gaol.

Tradeston went space something.


A very long Arnhem game

1866 War.

I only had time to grab a few bits and pieces from the traders, but most of the usual suppliers were there. It is challenging coming to Edinburgh when the fringe grabs the hotels. So, I hope they did well.



No comments:

Post a Comment