Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Saturday, 22 August 2026

Spanish galleons

 A rare treat this week in terms of museums, when the Galeón Andalucía visited the Port of Ayr. This replica Spanish galleon, run by the not-for-profit organisation Nao Victoria Foundation, was built in 2009 and is manned by Spanish Navy cadets.





The Spanish galleon was a large sailing ship used by Spain during the 17th century for trade, exploration, and warfare. Built mainly from strong oak, galleons had several masts, large square sails, and high raised decks at the front and back. They were designed to carry valuable cargo such as gold, silver, spices, and other goods between Spain and its colonies. Galleons were also heavily armed to protect themselves from pirates and enemy ships. These ships played an important role in the Spanish Empire and were a key part of Spain’s naval power during the 17th century.

The ship carries a fine collection of cannons, with an explanation of the different types and the cannonballs they fired.




I was surprised by how many crew and passengers it could hold. It could hold 150 people, including 60 crew, along with animals and food to feed them. That averages 1.5 m² per person. That's pretty crowded, unless you were the captain who had decent quarters.




The ship is an excellent floating museum and has received good reviews from everyone who has visited. I didn't think I had used galleons on the wargames table, but then I remembered a box I recently moved that has some rather battered small-scale galleon models. I can't remember why I got them, but I suspect it was back in DBR days when you had smaller-scale ships on the table.



2 comments:

  1. I didn't know of this vessel, but I was impressed by the Spanish Naval Museum in Madrid which I had the pleasure of visiting last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent museum, although it has been many years since I visited. I do recall wondering why they put it in Madrid. Not an obvious naval city!

      Delete