Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Vasa Museum and more

I had a clear schedule to explore Stockholm museums today. The morning was spent with my wife and daughter in the Abba Museum, which although a bit out of scope for this blog, was very good. It's a man of a certain age thing!

The absolute must-see sight in Stockholm is the Vasa Museum. The museum displays the only almost fully intact 17th-century ship that has ever been salvaged, the 64-gun warship Vasa that sank on her maiden voyage in 1628. It is truly awesome.



This is a 1:10 model of the ship.
The museum includes around 5000 items that separated from the  ship
A number of museums use skeletal reconstruction. In this case the crew.
This is the shipyard where the ship was built.
 Just around the corner, there is the Viking Museum. As the History Museum Viking section was closed, I was glad I took this in. Interactive museum, but plenty of content as well.

Another skeletal reconstruction. Not the popular image of a Viking!
The museum ride takes you on a Viking journey around Europe.
Finally, I went to the Swedish History Museum. A bit disappointing to be honest. If you are into medieval church art it's fine, otherwise, I would give it a miss. There is a good display of the Battle of  Gotland 1361 and some nice Viking gold.

Armour from the Gotland excavation.

A helmet from around 600AD

Viking arm rings and other gold embellishments. 


1 comment: