Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Thursday 4 March 2010

The Normans

Just finished my monthly update of the Balkan Military History website. The feature army this month is the Normans.

The Norman adventure in the south is a great story and Normans served as mercenaries in the Byzantine army as well as against them. Most famously in 1081 when they invaded the Empire in modern day Albania at dyraccium (modern Durres).

Not just a great story but also a good wargame army. Heavy knights with a ferocious charge supported by a solid spearman base and quality missile firing with bows and crossbows. I like the Sicilian version that gives you light horse archers as well.


These are from the Gripping Beast range.

No comments:

Post a Comment