Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Saturday 27 May 2023

Army Flying Museum

 After Portsmouth, I was heading cross country for a couple of days of golf with pals near Tewkesbury. I stopped off at the Army Flying Museum at Middle Wallop. The base next door is still operational.

The museum covers the history of Army aviation from the Balloon sections of the Royal Engineers through the establishment of the Royal Flying Corps in 1912, Air Observation Post (AOP) Squadrons, and the establishment of the Army Air Corps in 1957, which includes the glider regiments. There are two hangers of aircraft used by this unusual branch of the Army, along with other displays that take the visitor chronologically through the history of the Corps.


A captured ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" stands guard at the entrance, the Soviet self-propelled, radar-guided anti-aircraft weapon system. They also used them in Chetchnya to fire at buildings.


Other exhibits:

This is a Jeep come helicopter called a Rotabuggy. Unsurprisingly, it wasn't a success!

Apache attack helicopter

Two captured Argentinian helicopters.

A WW1 Sopwith, used for artillery spotting.

De Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver.

Plenty of ground equipment as well.

AA guns

A Ferret that served with the UN in Cyprus.

I suspect his museum is a bit out of the way for most people. But if you are nearby, it's worth a look.


2 comments:

  1. I drive past it everyday for work ..really should stop off one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I would be regularly late for work if I had your route.

      Delete