Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Sunday 30 October 2022

Fiasco 2022

I was at the Leeds wargame show (Fiasco) in the conference hall of the brilliant Royal Armouries Museum. So you get a wargame show and the museum; definitely worth the trip.

The hall is a reasonable size, but it has a few disadvantages. First, there isn't much room for games, so, like many shows, it is primarily a trade event. The other downside is the lighting. It is awful. I had to put the torch on my phone to see some of the labels on figure packs. I remember the days when the games were spread around the museum, which was a lot better. However, now it's free admission to the museum, I can see why that wouldn't work.

Anyway, I came away with several figure packs to top off a few projects: scenery, paint, bases, etc. Not a single book, which is pretty unusual.

The best of the games was the Yarkshire Gamer and his Italian Wars extravaganza. Nice to see it in the flesh. With all those flags, it is visually impressive.





The other games in the main hall were small-scale but interesting. I haven't seen Tiger Miniatures at a show for a while. I resisted more of their excellent Balkan Wars figures, but the Chinese in this display game are lovely.


Yom Kippur War in 10mm 


I have seen this Korean war game before, but the terrain is terrific.


28mm ships, very tempting.


And they had a SAGA competition. So I must get my battle boards out.


I have been to the Royal Armouries several times before. But there are several displays I will never tire of. Particularly the Ottoman and Mughal armour collections.




The centrepiece of the armour floor.


And the full scale Pavia diorama.


I probably won't go every year, but it was worth the long drive.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos and write up. I was half tempted to go, but couldn’t see anything on their webpage or FB group that gave any clue as to what traders were attending - so thought I’d skip it and possibly try Recon at nearby Pusey in early December.
    As it turns out I was unwell 🤧🤒 this last weekend and wouldn’t have been able to attend Fiasco anyway.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't miss much I'm afraid. Hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
    2. The traditional hot water with plenty of honey and lemon works a treat! TBH I probably used too much lemon (a whole one), but it worked for me…

      Delete
  2. I was there- less than impressed with the show if I'm being honest. Only bought 1 book whilst I was there.

    I do like the museum, one og my favourites in the UK, well at least in the northern half of it.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I feel the same. The show on its own wasn't worth the long drive.

      Delete
    2. I live half an hour away and even didn't feel it was worth that amount of travel....

      Cheers,

      Pete.

      Delete