Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Friday 26 July 2013

Montenegro

I have published an overview of my recent tour of Montenegro at Balkan Military History.

I can't recommend this country for a visit strongly enough. Plenty of historical interest and enough to keep the family happy with the weather, pool and beach. It is certainly cheaper than most European destinations when you get there, although flights, accommodation and care hire are similar.

The main military highlights included the Austrian forts built in the 19th Century to defend their main naval base at Cattaro (Kotor). The old fortified Venetian towns like Kotor, Perast and Budva. Plus, up into the mountains to the old royal capital Cetinje.

The museums are small but interesting. Here are a few of the exhibits at the excellent Kotor Maritime Museum.



 
 
and some more, this time from the National Historical Museum at Cetinje
 




 


2 comments:

  1. Looks good - I will have to start negotiations. Who did you go with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organised the flights myself, but the accommodation through Explore Montenegro.

    ReplyDelete