Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Saturday 9 July 2022

Dumfries Aviation Museum

 Dumfries Aviation Museum is located on the site of the former RAF Dumfries, on the outskirts of Dumfries. It's a small museum run by a dedicated team of volunteers. They have an eclectic collection of aircraft, most of which need some renovation, with displays about the airfield, airborne forces, engines and equipment. 

The star attraction is the Loch Doon Spitfire. This is a Mark II Spitfire that fought in the Battle of Britain. It was then sent to Scotland as a training aircraft for a Czech squadron, and it crashed in Loch Doon on a training flight. Volunteer divers found the aircraft, which had been restored at the museum.


 Outside they have an interesting collection of Cold War aircraft. Starting in the car park with the English Electric Lighting. Perhaps not the most elegant jet fighter, but I had the Airfix kit hanging from my bedroom ceiling as a kid.


Also in the RAF inventory is the Hawker Hunter.


A couple of USAF fighters, the Sabre and Super Sabre, one of my favourites.



A French Mystere.


And a Saab Draken, which is the second one I have seen this month after my trip to Sweden.

The Fleet Air Arm Gannet has to be one of the most appropriately named British aircraft.


And finally, a Westland Wessex, another favourite kit of mine.


Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

2 comments:

  1. I’m not a huge fan of planes - I prefer tanks, armoured vehicles etc.
    If I was in the Dumfries &Galloway area, however, I’m afraid to say I’d be headed straight to Wigtown looking for books. Hmmmmm… 👍👍
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went there the next day. It hasn't taken off at the same scale as Hay, but there are a couple a good bookshops with decent military and historical collections.

      Delete